The Zoarville Station Bridge at Camp
Tuscazoar is the only Fink Through-Truss bridge known to exist in the United States. The builders of this example,
Smith, Latrobe and Co. of Baltimore, MD specialized in this type. Originally part of the
three-span bridge over the Tuscarawas River in Dover, this span was moved to its present
site over One Leg Creek, now called Conotton Creek, when the bridge was replaced in 1905.
Acquired by the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in 1996, this interesting architectural
treasure has become the newest camp landmark. The bridge's restoration
is complete and it has become a great hiking destination and teaches our campers
about some of the rich local history of the area surrounding our camp.
The historic Zoarville Station Bridge is
listed on the
National Register of Historic
Places. Designed by
the bridge was originally built in 1868 by
Smith, Latrobe & Co. of Baltimore,
Maryland (later known as the Baltimore Bridge Co.) then was moved to its present location in
1905. The bridge spans the Conotton Creek as part of the old road which led from
Zoar to Zoarville. It once was the way by road to Camp Tuscazoar, and is the last
remaining bridge of its type.
View a Smith, Latrobe & Co. pamphlet
Formerly owned by local resident Mr. Charles Lebold, who paid $50 for it in 1969, the
bridge will now be saved from gradual deterioration. After acquiring the property under
the bridge, the CTF purchased the bridge from Mr. Lebold for the grand sum of one
dollar...a very generous deal. With its restoration now complete,
the bridge carries the Zoar Valley Trail, the intrastate
Ohio-to-Erie Trail and Buckeye Trail, and the interstate North Country Scenic Trail
across Conotton Creek. The bridge
also gives the youth using the camp access to the Ohio-Erie Canal Corridor and the towpath
In 1985 the Ohio Historical Society recognized the
significance of the Zoarville Station Bridge with a cover photo and
story in its TIMELINE publication (Volume 2/ Number 1.)
(Click on the photos to enlarge them.)
TIMELINE's contemporary photographs are by W. G. Keener and C.
S. Duckworth except where noted, and are used with permission.
We thank Ohio Historical
Society for permission to reprint these pages here.
Inside the TIMELINE was a full page featuring more
photos, text outlining the bridge's history, and even a detail of the
Phoenix columns - iron
structural tubes of curved plates riveted to each other at flanges and fitted onto iron
boxes at the joints or panel points - that make the design of this structure so
Span Attention - A traveling covered-
bridge show, and more by Frederic D. Schwarz from the Fall 2006 issue of Invention & Technology magazine.
Don’t Lower the River, Raise the Bridge by Frederic D. Schwarz
from the Fall 1998 issue of Invention & Technology magazine.
additional information and
additional resources on the Phoenix Bridge Company.
Purchase Tom Winpenny’s book
‘Without Fitting, Filing,
or Chipping: An Illustrated History of the Phoenix Bridge Company’.
More info on Phoenix
Iron Works: Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area.
Email any questions or comments about the ZSB Restoration
Project to email@example.com
For restoration updates from the project
manager for the Zoarville Station Bridge please visit our Update
Use the hyperlinks below
to view TECHNICAL DRAWINGS of Camp Tuscazoar's Zoarville
ZSB Blueprint for elevation changes to be made to
the bridge and the area on either side.
Connection Details - This drawing
shows exploded views of bridge element connecting points.
Northeast Elevation and Overhead Plan
- This drawing shows the Elevation and the Overhead plans.
We hope you will
take time to visit the rest of our exciting web site too.
Recent pictures are added here as they