Latest grants will fund more updates to Hoover Lodge; additional funds to be used for replacement windows, doors
The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation has been awarded grants from The Timken Foundation of Canton and The Haman Family Foundation of Dover for the complete replacement of the windows and doors at Hoover Lodge.
These grants include sufficient funding to completely replace the windows and will also allow us to proceed with work on the foundation erosion problem that was discovered while the roof work was being completed. This work will allow the new roof to properly drain and will keep the water from running back into the building through the new doors and windows.
The lodge roof has been completed and what a sight to see! This roof will last us for many years to come. Please stop by and take a gander at this great project! The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation is extremely grateful to everyone who participated in the upgrades for this important building. Without these grants and individual donations, this work would not have been possible.
In 2015, the Stark Community Foundation awarded a charitable grant for $27,450 to the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation to help fund a new roof for the lodge. The lodge’s barrel-style roof has been replaced with a steel roof, reducing annual maintenance costs.
The total project cost was estimated at $54,900. The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation raised the remaining $27,450 through additional grants from the William E. Shanafelt Fund at the Stark Community Foundation, the Hoover Foundation, the Reeves Foundation, Women Supporting Success and individual donations.
Originally designed as a training center, Hoover Lodge was dedicated in 1949. The building's name honors Frank G. Hoover, a North Canton industrialist who donated the funds for the lodge and made lasting contributions to Camp Tuscazoar and area Boy Scouting. The lodge, which stands on the site of the first Pipestone camp honors ceremony, can accommodate more campers than any other facility at Camp Tuscazoar.
7/1212016 UPDATE: The roof has been completed and work has begun on replacing the old windows and doors, most of which date back to when the lodge was constructed in the late 1940's. Hopefully these renovations will be completd in time for our fall Pig Roast so visitors can view our progress. Thanks to all who have contributed. Your donations made a difference! Also, any additional donations are welcome and will be used to update the kitchen.
Here are a few photos of the progress: